AMIENS, Picardy, France, Europe
Amiens may not be the centre of Europe, but...
- Amiens – London 2:38 hrs
- Amiens –Paris 1:05hrs
- Amiens – Brussels 1:21hrs
- Amiens – Frankfurt 3:30hrs
- Amiens – Lyon/Vilnius/Warsaw/Amsterdam/Milan 3:30hrs
- Roissy Airport – one of the three main air transport hubs in Europe – 1:05 hrs
- Paris-Beauvais Airport (low-cost flights) - 35 mins.
Hard to beat!
Amiens: A young town which is over 400,000 years old:
Even though 25% of the population of Amiens is under 20 years old, its history can be traced back more than 400,000 years. Archeological remains found in the Saint Acheul neighbourhood of Amiens gave rise to the internationally recognised scientific eponym for the Acheulean period.
Amiens: perfectly rooted in its heritage and ready to go around the World in 80 days while reaching for the moon
The history of AMIENS is enriched by its local traditions and its inhabitants. The trading network of Amiens - thanks to its linen and velvet - spread throughout western Europe. Jules VERNE, who wrote his greatest works in AMIENS (Around the World in 80 Days, From the Earth to the Moon), helped broaden the imagination of his fellow citizens. This was quite understandable as Verne was a highly active town councilor.
Amiens: friends of 50 years or 5 months
Amiens has been twinned with DORTMUND in Germany for 50 years and with Görlitz, another German town, for 40 years.
DARLINGTON in the United Kingdom, and TULSA in the United States, have more recently joined the close knit club of towns twinned with AMIENS.
Over the last two years Amiens has also formed partnerships with a high potential for social and economic development. These partnerships are with :
- BRIGHTON AND HOVE in the United Kingdom
- LVIV in Ukraine
- SANTA CATARINA in Cape Verde
The Baltic States - in particular towns in Lithuania - and the town of NADOR and its region in Morocco, have shown a keen interest in joining Amiens' European and international network. These networks are always put together in partnership with local associations and national, European and international institutions for cooperation.
Amiens: An ambitious international action plan
International projects are a unique opportunity to show AMIENS' potential, its attractiveness and its influence.
Amiens' international activities bring together its priorities of solidarity and development within the context of globalisation.
"We have the will and determination to develop intercultural dialogue and fight against prejudice and discrimination."
The main areas of AMIENS' European and international cooperation are:
- Twinning: Moving from occasional contact towards active cooperation
- Spreading our influence and building ambitious projects with other partners
- Confirming our active role in European and international cooperation
- Combining strengths, pooling resources, sharing objectives in order to act in unison
- Building a stronger partnership with associations to achieve our goals
- Facilitating, with the support of local stakeholders, exchanges and greater mobility, welcoming others
- Drawing on the skills of the local population.
Amiens City and District: The team
To support the European and international development of Amiens and its conglomeration, our team is at your service:
- Christian BONNEVILLE, Head of European and international affairs
- Stéphanie DAPSANCE DIXON, Project manager for European and international affairs
- Mathis FREYTAG, in charge of Franco-German affairs
Hôtel de Ville
Place de l’Hôtel de Ville
General Directorate - 2nd floor of West wing
80 027 Amiens
+33 3 22 97 14 72